Hot Tapping and Plugging Technology Opens Pathway for Safe, Efficient Projects
Regardless of the size, complexity, or location of a pipeline project, hot tapping and plugging (HT&P) is the preferred method for performing maintenance, repairs, or modification work that requires making safe entry into a live, pressurized line. The technology also makes it possible for pipeline owners and operators to isolate and bypass sections of pipeline so they can complete their projects without shutting down the system or losing product.
TDW has been a trusted source of HT&P equipment and consumables for decades, and when operators turn to TDW services to complete their projects, the company provides certified specialists — whose training fully aligns with U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) operator qualification requirements — to ensure the work is done properly.
All TDW equipment and consumables — including engineered-to-order solutions — can be paired with the company’s HT&P services, from installing corrosion monitoring systems to executing pipeline relocations. TDW is fully prepared to provide pipeline alterations or repairs on any system, anywhere in the world, including subsea environments.
The company’s HT&P solutions include:
- Fittings – The hot tapping process begins when an operator connects a high pressure fitting or low pressure fitting to a pipeline. These fittings can range from a welded nipple to a full-encirclement for additional pipeline support.
- Completion plugs – These plugs are inserted to temporarily stop product flow after the operator completes a hot tap and removes the valve. For example, the TDW STOPPLE® Plus fitting utilizes a LOCK-O-RING® Plus completion plug.
- Tapping and drilling machines – Operators use these tools to bore a pilot hole and make a new connection into a live pipeline. TDW offers tapping systems for a vast array of pipeline diameters, pressures, and compositions.
- Valves – Operators perform hot taps by cutting out a coupon (curved section of pipeline wall) and pulling it out through an open valve, which is sandwiched between the fitting and hot tapping machine. These temporary devices contribute significantly to the safety and efficiency of TDW hot taps.
- Isolation technology – TDW isolation solutions temporarily seal off the area of pipeline that requires work, which allows the operator to safely complete pipeline maintenance and modifications. When paired with a bypass, there is minimal impact on product flow. This includes the proprietary STOPPLE® Train isolation system utilizing double block and bleed technology.
- Welding services – TDW provides in-service welding to prepare lines for modifications and to repair damage. Operators have the assurance that all job requirements will be met by tested, qualified, and experienced welders, and that welding on the lines will be according to code.
- Repair wraps and sleeves – TDW offers steel repair sleeves and RES-Q® composite wraps, which operators can use for all repairs, from temporary to permanent, on most pipeline diameters.
Prefer to browse the entire High Pressure Products and Services catalog? Click here.
Looking for the Distribution System Products and Services catalog? Click here.