One of the most critical operations in pigging is opening the closure, which provides access to the pig trap during both launch and recovery operations. When the closure door is opened during the insertion or removal of a pig, there is a risk of explosive gas-air mixture.
For more than 50 years, TDW has manufactured closures designed to save time and improve safety when a pipeline or vessel is opened or closed.
Both the D-2000 quick opening closures and D-500 threaded closures can be operated onshore or on topside platforms in fluids, including natural gas, petroleum products, water, and crude oil. The D-2000 quick opening closures – which can be opened by a single operator in less than 1 minute – are sized for pipelines 4 inches and up. The D-500 threaded closures are available in sizes from 2 inches through 14 inches.
Best used for: pig traps, filters, strainers, scrubbers, heat exchangers, blowdowns, and other vessels
- An O-ring that won’t open or leak even under low pressure provides a positive seal.
- The O-ring protects against damage by tools, pigs, or debris.
- Pressure warning locks provide multiple safeguards.
- Pressure warning devices alert the operator to the presence of internal pressure before opening the closure.
- Besides size, how do I determine which closure I need? For repeated and quick access, the D-2000 closure is recommended for its quick-opening features. The D-500 threaded closure may be preferred in smaller lines, and when less frequent access is needed.
- What type of maintenance is associated with pipeline closures? Regular cleaning and greasing of the O-rings, sealing surfaces, and hinges is required. TDW provides a maintenance kit upon request that helps with general maintenance of the closure, ensuring smooth operation over years of use.