Semi-automated ultrasonic (UT-0°) scanning service detects and assesses pipeline corrosion and lamination. Because the scans are repeatable, the position and size data of each flaw can be compared to scans of the same area, allowing operators to track flaw growth and/or corrosion rates.
After the scanning process, you receive permanent documentation of the readings and screen shots of the affected areas, which helps you ensure pipeline integrity, demonstrate code compliance, and prepare for detailed audits.
Best used for: internal metal loss anomalies
- To ensure accurate results, technicians single out the proper transducer for each project based on wall thickness and the expected anomaly type.
- Data includes accurate sizing and locations of defects.
- This technology can be used to determine the proximity of corrosion cells to one another.
- How does semi-automated ultrasonic scanning compare to manual ultrasonic scanning? With semi-automated scanning, the equipment is operated manually, but the process provides encoded position data. We do semi-automated scans on all of our internal metal loss or lamination anomaly evaluations, as long as there are not external obstructions that prevent it.
- How do I access the readings from the scan? Operators will receive data reports in spreadsheet format. They can easily import the reports into their strength calculation software program for assessing the remaining strength of corroded pipelines.